Manhattan Assault Charges Lawyer
Skilled NY Criminal Attorney Defending Clients Charged with Assault or Harassment Throughout New York City, and the Surrounding Areas
In New York, assault charges can range from misdemeanors to class B felonies, punishable by up to 25 years in prison.
If you have been charged with assault in Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, or throughout New York City, it is important to speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our law firm directly for a free consultation at 212-300-6557.
At The Trainor Law Firm, P.C., we defend people facing all kinds of assault charges, including:
- Third degree assault
- Second degree assault
- First degree assault
- Gang assault
- Assault on a police officer, peace officer, fireman, or emergency medical services professional
- Assault on a judge
- Vehicular assault
- Reckless assault on a child
What Is Assault?
While each charge is unique, in general, a person commits assault in New York if he or she:
- Intends to cause physical harm to another person and does so, or injures a third party
- Physically injures another person through reckless behavior
- Physically injures another person with a weapon due to criminal negligence
Our New York criminal defense attorney Craig Trainor also represents clients who are charged with menacing and harassment, which involves putting others in fear of being physically harmed without actually harming them.
What Are Common Circumstances Leading to Assault Charges?
There are countless ways to be charged with assault. Some common scenarios include:
- A disagreement between friends or acquaintances leads to a fist fight, especially when alcohol is involved
- Bar fights or fist fights in a crowd or even on a school yard
- Arguments between spouses or other household members
- An insult or perceived insult escalates into physical violence at a party, a sporting event, or on the street
If the assailant is aided by two or more other people, all those involved can be charged with gang assault.
What Are the Defenses Against Assault Charges?
Our firm founder, criminal defense attorney Craig Trainor, is a former prosecutor who understands how to defend against assault charges.
Possible defenses include:
- Self defense
- Defense of your home or property against an intruder or thief
- Defense of another person
At The Trainor Law Firm, P.C., we will listen as you describe the circumstances that led to your arrest. We will review the police report and the evidence against you, interview witnesses, and determine the strongest defense strategy possible.
Assault charges are complex. We will analyze your case from all angles, evaluating issues such as:
- Was there intent to cause harm?
- Was the other person seriously injured?
- Were others involved?
- Were you defending yourself, your home, or another person?
Don’t face the power of the government without an experienced advocate by your side. Call Manhattan criminal defense attorney Craig Trainor today at 212-300-6557 or contact him online for your free consultation. We defend clients charged with assault charges in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, Long Island, and Westchester County.