Federal Gun Charges Defense Lawyer in New York
Manhattan Federal Firearm Charges Defense Attorney Representing Clients in New York City, Long Island, Westchester County, and Beyond
Federal law closely regulates the behavior of those who possess, buy, sell, and manufacture firearms. Violations of these laws can result in serious consequences, including lengthy prison sentences.
If you are facing any federal firearm charge, it is critical that you speak to a skilled Federal criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Please call defense attorney Craig Trainor at 212-300-6557 or contact our law firm online to schedule a free consultation. We vigorously defend clients against federal gun crime charges, including:
- Illegal possession of a firearm: Federal law prohibits many categories of people from owning or possessing firearms, including those who are:
- Convicted felons
- Illegal aliens
- Addicted to or illegal users of a controlled substance
- Convicted of domestic violence
- Dishonorably discharged from the armed forces
- Committed to a mental institution
- A U.S. citizen who renounced citizenship
- The subject of a restraining order
- Possession of an unregistered firearm: Federal law not only designates who can own a firearm, but it also requires that the firearm itself be registered.
- Illegal sale of a firearm: Unless you are properly licensed, it is illegal to ship, transport, or receive any firearm across state lines or internationally. It is also illegal for a licensee to sell a firearm to anyone other than another than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector.
- Illegal trafficking of a firearm: Trafficking refers to moving firearms from a legal owner to an illegal markets.
- Straw purchase of a firearm: A form of trafficking, straw purchases are sales of firearms to individuals who can legally own a firearm who then turn over the gun to someone who is not qualified to own one.
- Illegal altering, destroying, or removal of a serial number: Federal law prohibits you from making these changes or from possessing a gun that has been illegally altered.
There are numerous other federal gun charges, from making false statements on a firearm registration application to possession or use of a firearm in a violent or drug trafficking crime. No matter the specific charges, you need to speak to an attorney if you are facing federal weapons charges. It is not in your interest to speak to federal agents without an attorney by your side.
Federal criminal defense attorney Craig Trainor will review the facts of your case and explore all possible avenues of defense. He will clearly explain your options and give you a straightforward assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the case against you. Based on his years of experience, he will provide his best legal advice about which option makes the most sense for you.
Mr. Trainor will give you the information you need to make a wise, informed choice, but you will make the important decisions in your case. You will decide whether to accept a plea bargain or more forward to trial if the case is not dismissed.
To discuss your case please call 212-300-6557 or contact us online for a free consultation. We defend clients charged with state and federal crimes in Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island, Long Island, and Westchester County.