New York City Civil Rights Lawyer
Experienced Manhattan Civil Rights Attorney With a Strong Focus in Police Brutality Cases
It is unlawful for police officers to deprive you of your constitutional rights. If they do, you have the right to file a lawsuit and obtain financial compensation for the damages you have suffered.
At The Trainor Law Firm, P.C., in Manhattan, we consider it a moral obligation to file civil rights lawsuits against police officers who abuse the rights of citizens.
If you are the victim of police brutality or misconduct, please call 212-300-6557 or contact us online. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and advise you of your legal options.
Please call us if you have been:
- Arrested and your case was dismissed outright while you were in court or at some later time
- Arrested (taken into police custody and you were not free to leave) and released with no charges ever being filed against you
- Stopped by police without cause for a period of time and they never charged you or issued you a ticket of any kind (usually in the “racial profiling” context)
- Strip searched while in police custody
- A victim of police brutality (excessive force) during your arrest or at anytime while you were in police custody or in central booking (police beat you up or placed overly tight handcuffs on you)
- A victim of police brutality (excessive force) and you were not charged with anything
- Assaulted by other inmates while in police custody, in central booking, or jail
- Sexually harassed by police or corrections officers
We are dedicated to keeping the police honest. The law firm’s founder, civil rights attorney Craig Trainor previously chaired the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on New York City Affairs’ NYPD Accountability Subcommittee and drafted a report for the Committee recommending that the City of New York keep track and collect the lawsuits, judgments, and settlements against NYPD officers for violating peoples’ civil rights. The report is on page 29 of the recommendations to the Mayor.
Police Brutality and Misconduct Cases in New York
We aggressively prosecute civil rights cases on behalf of the victims of police brutality and misconduct, in all of its forms. A police officer who falsely arrests an individual on trumped up charges, or makes him strip naked and cough in a police precinct without cause, or beats up a suspect needlessly dishonors his badge and tramples over the Constitution.
It is a sad fact of life in a large city like New York that some police officers act in conformity with 19th Century NYPD Police Captain Alexander “Clubber” Williams’ view of policing. Captain Williams, a corrupt cop and petty tyrant, often stated that, “There is more law in the end of a policeman’s nightstick than in a decision of the Supreme Court.” We disagree. Police misconduct cannot stand, and federal law creates a remedy.
In every civil rights case we take, we fight for the rights of our client and for all citizens. When the police unlawfully abuse the rights of one individual, they tarnish the constitution that protects us all.
You Have Access to Justice – No Fee Unless We Recovery Money for You
If you select The Trainor Law Firm, P.C., to represent you in a civil rights lawsuit, you will pay nothing upfront and no legal fees at all unless and until we recover money damages in your case. Our fee comes as a percentage of the money we win for you. This contingency fee arrangement provides access to justice for people of all income levels, which is exactly how the framers of federal civil rights law envisioned it.
Time limits apply. There are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit against the City of New York and other New York entities. Please call us immediately at 212-300-6557 or contact us online if you believe police or corrections officers have violated your civil rights. We represent clients in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and throughout Westchester County, and Long Island.